Thursday, February 1, 2007

Studio - Signature Element

My signature element is definately the circulation spline that bisects the store. This concept has been within my design from the beginning story board with the intention to use it to create a variety of spatial experiences and movement within the store. It is also something with which I am struggling with right now. I am also exploring different floor plates to add vertical (3-D) diversity which suggests that I change the circulation along this spline from the switchback relationship to a more varied relationship. Any feedback regarding this idea would be appreciated. Here are some diagram sketches I have been considering:

Sketch One
















Sketch Two











Sketches one and two maintain circulation along the spline and add circulation at alternate floors along the edge.
Sketch Three
Sketch Three has circulation starting along the spline then locates circulation within various spaces on the floors depending upon the desired views from within to the exterior and with relation to the different interior spaces I am trying to acheive.
My dilemma focuses on abandoning the spline.

3 comments:

Ellie said...

#1. Considering the entire circulation spine as your signature element is problematic. It is simply too large to focus on. I strongly suggest you select a section of the length of the ramp and develop it in detail (explore how it attaches to the wall, where products are displayed, materiality, etc.).

#2. I agree with the need to create more vertical diversity, but I don't agree with the approach to attempt to do so by making the circulation constantly changing. The circulation diagram was very clear convincing. It was the strong form that the building could organize itself around. Stacking the circulation is what is causing the similarity between the floors. The lack of diversity came from the fact that each floor plate was essentially the same as you placed the same program elements in the same location on every floor. I would suggest allowing the core elements (vertical circulation ramp, stair and elevator) to remain as the constants and look to achieve diversity by reallocating the programmatic elements. For example, don't put tea rooms on every level. Put them all on one level. When you arrive at that level, it will be a much different scale/character than the product display floor below, etc.

Peter James DeIuliis said...

Tim, I would have thought that the tea room, or bank of tea rooms, could have been a great signature element to focus on.... how about how the circulation/spline interacts with a tea room or group of tea rooms? this could give you the flexibility of dealing with the circulation, but not being burdened with having to solve it right now.... I will be checking in regularly throughout the weekend so please post anything you would like to communicate about....

Tim Shremshock said...

Peter,

That's a great idea. I think I'll pursue it. Thanks. By the way I came accross an image that made me think of your signature element. I'll email it to you.